See LinkedIn profile.
- Principal Investigator ‘Hacking the Bees’ (Feb 2017 – Jan 2018)
Maxwell, D. (PI), Pillatt, T., Edwards, L. ‘Hacking the Bees.’ £98K (AHRC Follow on Funding Connected Communities Call), April 2015 – March 2016.
- Principal Investigator ‘Telling the Bees’ (April 2015 – Sept 2016)
Maxwell, D. (PI), Downing, N., Pillatt, T. ‘Telling the Bees.’ £53K (AHRC ECR Connected Communities Call), April 2015 – March 2016.
AHRC Connected Communities interdisciplinary research project (£53K) working with Tay Landscape Partnership (TayLP) to develop new understandings of beekeeping practices through codesigning ‘future folklore’ for new and future generations of beekeepers. The future folklore prototypes and their digital assets will be a community resource and also a probe for academic communities – prompting questions on the role of tacit knowledge, folklore, literature, and stories as knowledge structures reinterpreted through design.
- Co-Investigator ‘Listening to Voices’ (March 2015 – February 2016)
McConnell, G., Collinson-Scott, J., Maxwell, D. (Co-I). ‘Listening to Voices: Radical Listening Practices for Collaboration and Creative Disruption.’ £51K. (AHRC ECR Connected Communities Call), March 2015 – February 2016.
AHRC Connected Communities interdisciplinary research project (£51K) working with hearing voices networks. Listening to Voices brought together voice hearers, independent artists and academics from Ireland and Scotland via an intensive residential writing retreat to develop a ‘Listening Guide’ that challenges authorative and conventional single-voiced narratives. This co-developed project has fostered strong relationships between the research team and voice hearers support groups.
- Co-Investigator ‘Seannachies: Addressing Social Isolation through Storytelling’ Programme (October 2014 – June 2015)
McHattie, L-S, Maxwell, D. (Co-I), Speed, C., Seaman, P., Winters, A., Woods, M., Williams, M., Wallace, J. ‘Seannachies: Addressing Social Isolation through Storytelling’, Scottish Universities Insight Institute (£18K), October 2014 – June 2015.
Scottish Universities Insight Institute (SUII) programme (£18K) support the creation of a network to connect practitioners, health professionals, storytellers, and elder communities to unpack issues around loneliness and social isolation and develop a new understanding of ‘seannachies’ as contemporary knowledge repositories.
- Co-Investigator ‘Rural Crafting Communities in the Digital Age’ (March 2015 – June 2015)
Small project (approx. £3K) funded by the Digital Economy ‘Communities and Culture’ Network+.
Co-designed and led 1-day workshop, ‘Twitter Storytelling’, for rural craft practitioners in April 2015 at Scottish Sculpture Workshop, Lumsden, using Twitter as a way to consider branding and positioning in a global marketplace.
- Co-Investigator ‘StoryStorm’ CCN+ (June 2013 – June 2014)
Woods, M., Maxwell, D. (Co-I), Graham, H., Abbot, D. ‘Storystorm’ Network+ grant (£15K), part of the wider Communities and Culture Network+, June 2013 – June 2014.
‘StoryStorm’: a £15K funded network in the Digital Economy ‘Communities and Culture’ Network+ delivered a series of events around the theme of storytelling, creating collaborative stories supported by digital technology, showcased at Future Everything 2014 and Research Through Design 2015.
- Principal Investigator ‘Skills in Action’, University of Edinburgh (March 2014 – December 2015)
Maxwell, D. (PI), Kearney, G. ‘Skills in Action’, AHRC Collaborative Skills Development ECR-led grant (£5K) with £5K match funding from Creative Scotland, March – December 2014.
AHRC Collaborative Skills Development Early Career Researcher (ECR) grant (£5K) with Creative Scotland match funding (£5K), hosting a series of Scotland-wide cross-disciplinary events for ECR Arts & Humanities researchers around knowledge exchange issues, with a strong digital component & legacy.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Nissen, B., Symons, K., Tallyn, E., Speed, C., Maxwell, D. & Vines, J. (2017) New value transactions: Understanding and designing for distributed autonomous organisations. In Proceedings of the 2017 ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems. Association for Computing Machinery, Inc, p. 352-355 4, Edinburgh, 10 Jun 2017.
- Maxwell, D., Edwards, L., Odling, M. (2017) Bee Boxes: Designing Spaces for Stories. In Proceedings of Research through Design 2017 (RTD2017), Edinburgh, Mar 26-28 2017.
- Maxwell, D., Speed, C., Pschetz, L. (2017) Story Blocks: Reimagining narrative through the blockchain. Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies.
- Speed, C., Maxwell, D., and Pschetz, L. Blockchain City: Economic, Social and Cognitive Ledgers. Book chapter (Data and the City, ed. Rob Kitchin)
- Edwards, L., Maxwell, D., Pillatt, T., and Downing, N. (2016) Beebots-a-lula, Where’s My Honey?: Design Fictions and Beekeeping. In Proceedings of the 9th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (NordiCHI ‘16). ACM, New York, NY, USA.
- Maxwell, D., Edwards, L., Pillatt, T., Downing, N. (2016). Stories in a Beespoon: Exploring Future Folklore through Design. Proceedings of DRS2016: Design + Research + Society – Future-Focused Thinking.
- Pschetz, L., Speed, C. & Maxwell, D. (2016) Blockchain, smart contracts and the design of everyday transactions. Proceedings of DRS2016: Design + Research + Society – Future-Focused Thinking.
- Speed, C., Maxwell, D. (2015). Designing Through Value Constellations. ACM interactions, 22(5), 38-43.
- Kearney, G., Maxwell, D. (2015). The Universities’ ‘Third Mission’ and the Experiences and Perceptions of Early Career Researchers in the Arts and Humanities. Consortium of Higher Education Research (CHER), Lisbon, Portugal, 7-9 Sept 2015.
- Maxwell, D., Speed, C. & Campbell, D. (2015) ‘Effing’ the Ineffable: Opening up Understandings of the Blockchain. British HCI 2015, 13-17 July 2015, Lincoln.
- 32 authors including Maxwell, D., & Speed, C. (2015) Re-writing the City: Negotiating and Reflecting on Data Streams. British HCI 2015, 13-17 July 2015, Lincoln.
- Maxwell, D., Speed, C. (2015). ‘Story Blocks: Reimagining Narrative through Cryptocurrency’. Writing Digital: MIX DIGITAL 3, 2-4 July 2015, Bath.
- Maxwell, D., Speed, C., Monsen, K. and Zamora, D. (2015) Creating a Collaborative Space for Creativity through a Pervasive User Experience. In Proceedings of the 14th ACM SIGCHI conference on Creativity & cognition (C&C ’15). ACM, New York, NY, USA.
- Speed, C., Maxwell, D., Campbell, D. (2015). ‘Blockchain City’. MEDIA CITY 5 International Conference and Exhibition, 1-3 May 2015, Plymouth.
- Woods, M., Maxwell, D. (2015). ‘The Blue Plaque: Co-Creating Design Fictions in the Wild’. Research Through Design 2015, 25-27 Mar 2015, Cambridge.
- Maxwell, D., Gray, C. (2014) ‘Designing Digital Spaces to Support Knowledge Exchange.’ Fifth Annual Digital Economy All Hands Meeting (DE2014), 3-5 Dec 2014, London.
- Speed, C., Magee, S., Maxwell, D., Hartswood, M. (2014). ‘Exploring incentivisation in design.’ Proc. NordiCHI’14, Helsinki, 26-30 October 2014.
- Maxwell, D., Williams, A. (2014). ‘Pragmatics, Plasticity, and Permission: A Model for Creativity in Temporary Spaces’. Academic Design Management (DMI), London 2-4 September 2014.
- Maxwell, D., Woods, M., and Abbott, D. (2014). ‘StoryStorm: a collaborative exchange of methods for storytelling.’ In Proceedings of the 2014 companion publication on Designing interactive systems (DIS Companion ‘14). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 207-210.
- Makri, S., Blandford, A., Woods, M., Sharples, S. & Maxwell, D. (2014). ‘Making my Own Luck: Serendipity Strategies and how to Support them in Digital Information Environments’. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, 65(11), 2179-2194.
- Maxwell, D. (contributor). (2014). ‘BITE: Recipes for Remarkable Research’. Williams, A., Jones, D. & Robertson, J. (Eds.) ISBN: 9789462095823 http://thebitebook.org/ [Book contribution]
- Mehrpouya, H., Maxwell, D., Zamora, D. (2013) ‘Reflections on co-creation: An open source approach to co-creation’. Participations, 10:2, 172-182.
- Prior, S., Ballie, J., Kearney, G., Maxwell, D. (2013) ‘Understanding audiences from industry sectors in knowledge exchange’. Participations, 10:2, 260-274
- Galani, A., Mazel, A., Maxwell, D., and Sharpe, K. (2013) ‘Situating Cultural Technologies Outdoors: Empathy in the Design of Mobile Interpretation of Rock Art in Rural Britain.’ E. Ch’ng et al. (eds.), Visual Heritage in the Digital Age, Springer Series on Cultural Computing. [Book chapter]
- Maxwell, D., Woods, M. and Prior, S. (2013). ‘The pop-up ethnographer: roles of the researcher in temporary spaces.’ Proceedings of the Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference. EPIC 2013, London 15-18 September 2013, pp.175-190.
- Maxwell, D., Biggs, S. (2013). ‘Creative Collaboration across Scotland: Building an Appetite for Innovation’. ESRS Congress, Florence 29 July – 1 August 2013.
- Woods, M., Shek, J., Maxwell, D., and Webster, G. (2012) ‘The Digital Quill: Inspiring Creativity through Design.’ CHArt (Computers and the History of Art) Conference 2012.
- Maxwell, D., Woods, M. (2012) ‘Encouraging Reflexivity in Mobile Interactions.’ CHArt (Computers and the History of Art) Conference 2012.
- Mazel, A., Galani A., Maxwell, D., Sharpe, K. (2012) ‘I want to be provoked’: public involvement in the development of the Northumberland Rock Art on Mobile Phones project.’ World Archaeology, 44:4, 592-611.
- Kefalidou, G., Maxwell, D., Woods, M., Sharples, S. and Makri, S. (2012) ‘Is THIS ‘Delight’?’, In: Workshop Proceedings of BCS HCI Conference 2012.
- Maxwell, D., Woods, M., Makri, S., Bental, D., Kefalidou, G., and Sharples, S. (2012) ‘Designing a Semantic Sketchbook to Create Opportunities for Serendipity’, Work in Progress Paper, Proceedings of BCS HCI Conference 2012.
- Bental, D., Stewart, R., Aylett, R., Maxwell, D., Woods, M. (2012) ‘Exposing Connections to Support Serendipitous Discovery.’ (Extended Abstract) The Symposium on Influencing People with Information, 25 April, 2012, Aberdeen, UK.
- Galani A., Maxwell D., Mazel A., Sharpe K. (2011) ‘Situating Cultural Technologies Outdoors: Design Methods for Mobile Interpretation of Rock Art in Rural Britain’ in Museums and the Web 2011 conference 6-9 April, 2011, Philadelphia, USA.
- Maxwell D., Macaulay C., Inns T. (2008) ‘Inspired Storytelling: the Digital Re-tellings of a Traditional Tale’ Narrative in Interactive Learning Environments (NILE) conference, 5-8 August, 2008, Edinburgh.
- Maxwell D., Macaulay C. (2006). ‘Oral Culture: a useful concept relevant to information seeking in context?’ Proceedings of the InSciT2006 Conference, International Conference on Multidisciplinary Information Sciences and Technologies, 25-28 October, 2006, Merida, Spain.
Workshops & Talks
- Speed, C., Maxwell, D., Tallyn, E. (May, 2016) Lego Blocks Activity. EPSRC Distributed Ledger Technologies Call Briefing Workshop.
- Pschetz, L., Speed, C. & Maxwell, D. (27 Jun 2016) Blockchain, smart contracts and the design of everyday transactions. Proceedings of DRS2016: Design + Research + Society – Future-Focused Thinking.
Speed, C., Maxwell D. (9 Feb 2016). Designing by Values: Predictive Materialities Workshop. TU Delft. Things2Things project https://things2things.nl/
- Maxwell, D., Pillatt, T., Edwards, L. Bonded by a Beespoon: Crossing Research Boundaries through Making. 18 Mar 2016. Changing the Research Landscape? A Connected Communities Conference for Early Career Researchers https://connected-communities.org/index.php/events/event/changing-the-research-landscape-a-connected-communities-conference-for-early-carer-researchers/
- Maxwell, D., Woods, M. (5 July 2016). More than Impact? Extending the Codesign Approach. Public Engagement as Method, University of Sheffield. http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/artsenterprise/publicengagementasmethod
- Maxwell, D., Edwards, L., Pillatt, T. (2016) ‘Beebots-a-lula’. Utopia and Connected Communities: a one-day conference, The British Library Conference Centre, 7 Dec 2016. http://www.utopia500.org.uk/events/utopia-connected-communities-one-day-conference/
- Invited Panel Member for WRoCAH Practice as Research event. (June 2016, University of Leeds; June 2017, University of York).
- Invited talk: Debbie Maxwell (University of York) and Elaine Weir (Time and Space) (25 May 2016) ‘Listen (If You Dare): Voice-hearing and subversive disruption’, Durham University. Durham University and TEWV Foundation Trust Joint Special Interest Group for Psychosis. http://hearingthevoice.org/joint-special-interest-group-in-psychosis/
- Invited talk: Debbie Maxwell, 6 Dec 2016. Listening to Voices. York Research & Impact Conference – Co-Production
- AHRC Common Ground event, 21 June 2016 http://www.ahrccommons.org/common-ground-event/
Workshop: Telling the Bees: The Augmented Beesuit. Debbie Maxwell, Toby Pillatt, Liz Edwards, Claire Dean, and Andy Darby
Installation: Telling the Bees: The Beespoon. Debbie Maxwell, Toby Pillatt, Liz Edwards, Claire Dean, and Andy Darby
Installation: Storystorm Blue Plaques. Mel Woods, Loraine Clarke, and Debbie Maxwell (DJCAD, University of Dundee / University of York)
- Invited Speaker: ‘Skills in Action’, AHRC Early Career Researcher Event, 18 March, 2015.
- Invited Speaker: ‘Stories Old and New’, lecture at Warbuton Gallery, Edinburgh, 11 June, 2014.
- Maxwell, D., Woods, M. (2013). ‘Lovely Veneer: The underbelly of good design’, roundtable session, ISEA2013.
- ‘Design in Action: Re-defining the Role of Design in Industry through Chiasma’, panel session, Knowledge Exchange and Arts and Humanities Research Conference, University of Southampton, July 2013.
- ‘Storytelling as Research: A Human-Centred Approach to Design’, CIRCLE research seminar, 3 December, 2012, Inspace, University of Edinburgh.
- ‘Engineering Serendipity – making chance work for you and your organisation’, Masterclass for Knowledge Innovation Network (KIN), 19 November 2012, Local Government Association, London.
- ‘Harnessing the Power of Storytelling in the Digital Economy’, workshop at Digital Futures conference, 23 October, 2012, Aberdeen. (Drafted, developed and led this workshop with SerenA members and external PhD students.)
- Speaker at KIN Autumn Workshop on ‘Storytelling’, 11-12 September, 2012, University of Warwick.
- Kefalidou, G., Maxwell, D., Woods, M., Sharples, S. and Makri, S., 2012. Understanding ‘Delight’ in Design: User Experience, Technologies and Tools. Workshop at British Computing Society HCI Conference, 12-14 September, 2012, Birmingham.
- Speaker at Eastside Projects gallery, as part of Extra Special People series, 19 July, 2012, Birmingham. ‘Designing for the Prepared Mind’, led workshop as part of the Small Society Lab, 28 June, 2012, Dundee Contemporary Arts, Dundee.
- Panel speaker at ‘The Serendipitous Community: Chance and Accident in Building Connections’, Small Society Lab, 27 June, 2012, Dundee Contemporary Arts, Dundee.
- ‘Serendipitous Connections’ workshop, Performing Worlds, D-AiR festival, 15 June, 2012, Dundee.
- ‘The Challenges of Rural Outdoor Digital Interpretation Heritage Sites’, research seminar, 8 June, 2011, International Centre for Cultural and Heritage Studies, Newcastle University.